Contact Me for a Free Consultation (941) 257-5003


How do I appeal the denial of a limited driver’s license for a DUI suspension after an administrative hearing?

Posted by John P. Rutkowski | Jun 26, 2019 | 0 Comments

An appeal of the denial for a limited driver's license (hardship license) is made by filing what is known as a Writ of Certiorari in the Circuit Court in the county of your residence. The Writ is basically you asking the court to allow you to obtain a limited driver's license because the hearing officer's decision is wrong. If the Writ is granted you will be able to go to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and apply for your limited license, of course there is a reinstatement fee of approximately Two Hundred Seventy Five ($275.00) Dollars.

The Writ must be filed within thirty (30) days of the decision by the Administrative Law Judge and must be accompanied with the filing fee of Four Hundred ($400.00) Dollars plus a service fee of approximately Fifteen ($15.00) Dollars.

Also, a certified copy of the record from the administrative hearing must accompany the Writ. Unless you provide a court report for the administrative hearing the proceeding will be taped recorded. You can contact the administrative hearing office where the hearing took place and request an audio copy of the hearing. Once that is obtained you must have the audio recording transcribed by a certified court report and that transcript must be filed with the Writ or very soon thereafter.

About the Author

John P. Rutkowski

Mr. Rutkowski has been practicing law for the past twenty-four years. Prior to going to law school Mr. Rutkowski served as a deputy sheriff before retiring to attend law school. Upon graduating law school Mr. Rutkowski served as a prosecutor in Florida before going in to private practice.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact us

John P. Rutkowski, Attorney at Law, is focused on all aspects of Criminal Defense, State and Federal Courts, Post Conviction Relief, Criminal Appeals and Traffic Offenses. Contact me today for a free telephone consultation.