What is Gaintime?
- Gaintime is an inmate's opportunity to earn a reduction (if eligible) in his/her overall sentence imposed by the court.
- Gaintime has been in existence in Florida since 1889.
- Gaintime is a tool the department uses to encourage satisfactory inmate behavior and motivate program and work participation.
- Inmates serving life sentences or certain minimum mandatory sentences are not eligible for Gaintime (during the portion of time these mandatory sentences are in effect).
- Awards of Gaintime are made according to statutory authorization pursuant to s.944.275 F.S.
- Just as Gaintime can be awarded, it can be withheld or forfeited in accordance with s. 944.275, s. 944.279, s. 944.28, and s.944.281 F.S.